Monday, January 2, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas and Happy 2012!!
I want to start off by thanking my lovely grandparents for sending me an amazing care package!! Thank you thank you! So sweet. I got it right in time for ChristmasJ
 This month has been somewhat bittersweet being away from home for the holidays. Despite all the enchantment of America at Christmas time, my volunteer friends made it a wonderful holiday here as well. To start off the celebration, I attempted my first batch Swedish glug, my family’s famous spicy Christmas cocktail, served nice and warm with wine soaked almonds and dried fruit. I lit it on fire and blessed it Swedish just like my mom taught me. It was a huge hit!

The best part of it all was the delectable smell wafting from the kitchen all day. Pro bakers Jenae and Wilma slaved away making a variety of homemade cookies. Seriously delicious.

We blasted the good ole holiday tunes, taped up snowflake cutouts and strung stockings made from local festive fabric.

We even had our own little Christmas tree to decorate thanks to my mama’s Christmas care package. Can you see it in the background behind Sarah and I?


At midnight a couple of us went downtown for church mass. It was beautiful to see church in a different culture, a whole fellowship gathered together half way around the world. I couldn’t help but to imagine all the millions of  people simultaneously in peace and prayer just for one night. The choir sang popular Christmas hymns in between sermons, only their version was in French with bongo drums and an island rhythm. 
Back in Mampatim, I’ve been working on spreading the news about the benefits of eating magical moringa. I’ve been having lunch at different compounds bringing my little baggie of moringa powder with me and sprinkling on my side of the bowl. It sparks up their curiosity and gives me a window of opportunity to tell them all about its healing qualities. The other day my friend Whitney came to visit my village. We painted a moringa mural on my health post wall illustrating it’s superabundance of vitamins. We also painted one advertising the free vaccination program. I plan on painting a lot more in the days to come. Its fun for me and the locals love them. Win win!


The day before Christmas Eve my friend Wilma came to my village to promote ceramine, a nutritional porridge made to wean babies off breast feeding.

Mariama helping sift the ceramine powder


 Forty of my village women came with their babies to hear about the porridge and to learn about general nutrition. Such a great turnout! The awesome thing about having large causeries is it gets people talking. Just a couple days later I had everyone in my village asking about it and where they could get some. Way to go Wilma.


Little update on little Mijo: already 3 months old and growing at rapid speeds! He’s currently going through the lovely phase of chewing on anything and everything he can see. He’s also transformed my laundry basket into his own personal bed where he cuddles up every night alongside his new baby brother, Lyon.

 He and I send our love and sweet holiday wishes back home to you all.

 2012... may it be a year full of joy, laughter, love and adventure. cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I miss you, Chels! I find it hard to believe exactly one year ago we were together ringing in 2011. Your Christmas sounds like it was wonderful, though, selfish me, I wish I were able to see you.

    That's awesome that you have been able to have such an impact on nutrition education for the people in your village. Keep up the great work!! You truly are an inspiration.

    I love you so very much, Miss Chelsea Blue!! I think about you all the time and hope you are doing well. Though, I must admit, I cannot wait for you to come home!!!

    Love,
    Linds :)

    P.S.- Mijo is sooooooo efffffing adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing... I will have to keep up with the blog posts. You are such an amazing and wonderful person. I know that the people and village will be better because of you and the other volunteers. Stay inspi(RED) over there!!! Much love and respect, Cmoe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration, mah dear! I love and miss you!!! -danielle :)

    ReplyDelete