Friday, January 20, 2012

W.A.I.S.T.

After our all volunteer conference, we drove to Dakar for an epic softball tournament with volunteers from all over West Africa. W.A.I.S.T. is West African Intermural Softball Tournament, and iit is complete insanity. Every region had a different themed costume they dressed up in, so you can guess how serious we were about this tournament.

 My region of Kolda was "South of the Border" meaning wild west cowboys and saloon girls, along with a little hint of Mexico. We had a couple guys dress up as a Mariachi band, some Mexican peasants, and even a piƱata.



Here's me as chiquita banana. Ha! And yes, I attempted to play softball in this. Not easy.


Other region's  themes included  "suits" made of ridiclous fibrant fabrics,

 girl scouts and boy scouts,


 "under the sea" with scuba gear and blow up whales,


and lastly, "the French", whom forfeited every game and took a lot of coffee breaks. All and all, the conference and tournament was a success and it was great to see everyone as always.

**a million hugs and kisses to Mrs. Franz and my sweet parents for the amazing care packages you sent me!! You have no idea how grateful I am to receive packages like these. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY mama!! I'm sorry I missed it, but I hope it was a great one. It's no coincidence you were born on the day celebrating the life of a great peacemaker, so in honor of the both of you, here's a message we should all avide by...

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
 

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea Blue,you are an amazing person and I am so very proud of you my sweet, precious daughter. Thank you for my birthday wishes honey! I am very proud to be born on the same day as Martin Luther King Jr. I love you so much and miss you more than I can say. I can't wait til we are all together again. It's going to be so wonderful. I hope it goes fast! I love you, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't be playing softball in a skirt. I hope you got a hit. You sure looked cute! It sounds like things are happening in your village even though it takes time. Keep up the good work, I love you very much!!! Papa

    ReplyDelete