Friday, August 5, 2011

Trip to Dakar

Hey loves!
Today is my 5th and last day in Dakar.  A bunch of us came straight to the capital after our IST for a little break before returning to our villages. I’ve ended up staying a few days extra because of appointments with the dentist and the general doctor but now I’m heading back to Kolda for my 23rd year of life celebration at the regional house! My dear friend Kelly is making a coconut cake. Mmmm! J
We’ve had the loveliest time here in the city! Dakar is substantially westernized with a grocery store, upscale clothing stores, temperature controllable showers, air conditioning and an ice cream shop! We had a couple birthdays to celebrate which gave us excuses to splurge on delicious fancy food. One of the first nights we all went out to an Italian restaurant for our friends birthdays and shared thin crust pizza with caramelized onions and goat cheese. To all of you who know me really well: I have taken a liking to onions now. True story! Turns out when you have limited food options in village, onions begin to taste incredibly satisfying in comparison to watery leaf sauce. However, I still hate mushrooms.

The next day we took a canoe ride from the coast of Dakar to the gorgeous Isle Ngour.
We were slightly worried about the ominous clouds overhead, but as it turned out they only added to the peaceful coastal Ireland effect as the Atlantic waves crashed up on the steep cliffs. I took a “look deep in thought” photo shoot of Ben and Ian on the rocks.

Afterward we walked through the intricate cobble stone pathways lined with vibrant wild plants and flowers draping over the high walls of the local residents. I can’t even describe the quaint splendor of this place.
After strolling around through the maze of trails, we came upon another ocean view clearing, only this time there were restaurants and umbrellas with lounge mats set up along the sand.
My friend Costa hanging out on the beach

We decided to spend the rest of the afternoon there where we swam in the ocean, ate lunch and got hackled by local vendors selling us their goodies. I gave in for the first time since arriving to Senegal and bought some pretty sweet stuff for people back home.
That night we got all dressed up and went out for Marielle and Larocha birthday celebration round two. We ate at this Thai restaurant called Le Jardin Thailandais and it was AMAZING! Seriously maybe the best Thai food I’ve ever had. All of us practically sat in silence at the overwhelming deliciousness as we inhaled our food.
In the morning we made caramel French toast and cheesy eggs for everyone back at the regional house before our second adventure to Goree Island, the home to many slaves departing towards America in the late 1700’s. Unfortunately now it’s much more of a tourist trap, but nonetheless very full of powerful history.
The next time I’ll be back here in Dakar is when I'll be flying home to see you lovely people in America is only 18 days away!!

2 comments:

  1. "You're making my mouth water"-John Travolta Chelsea!Your travels are so interesting and so wonderful. You are getting around to a lot of beautiful places and it's so exciting. The way you describe the food makes me so hungry!! I can tell you really savor the good food when you have a chance to taste it and it's been something you miss. You are funny-still no mushrooms,eh? I guess you'll never get that hungry. I love you and am counting the days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is almost your birthday!!!! I love you I love you I love you I love you! -Jasmine

    ReplyDelete