Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Easter!

Greetings friends and fam!

There hasn't been much to write about this past week, because I've been bed ridden since we got back from our Kolda visit. :( Last Thursday when I met my new homestay family, I started feeling like death. We took a two hour car ride to the regional house Friday and met all the older volunteers who were hilarious and crazy, but all I wanted to do was sleep. They probably think I'm pretty boring unfortunately. Really I just had 103 degree temp and a stomach that was unforgiving. Not quite sure what it was from, possibly a parasite, yuck! Anyways, I laid around while the others went goodwill shopping for the ugliest outfits they could find, all in preparation for the dance party they were throwing later that night. This is my friend Costa cooking us dinner in his Aladdin lookalike outfit..

So bummed I missed out!! Regardless, it was great meeting everyone and touring my hang out spot for the next two years.

The doc put me on antibiotics so that knocked it out. Thankfully she advised me to stay behind and rest up at the center in Thies instead of going back to my village in Mbour. Feeling so much better since yesterday. Hooorayyy! Healthy just in time for Easter! My good friend Emily caught the bug as well, so us sickies were here to comfort each other. A couple others arrived back to the center a day early, so we all were able to celebrate Easter Sunday together! Sunday was also Emily's 24th birthday! So whatever activities we did that day had to be her choice :) We went out for a delicious brunch that morning, coffee, chocolate bread and egg and cheese sandwiches mostly. MMMm!


Afterward we walked around the market and shopped for pretty fabric. Its so cheap and easy to buy fabric, take it to the local tailor, and have a dress made!

When we got back to the center I busted out the Easter candy my mom sent me and we relaxed all day until it was dinner time. We decided on a nice French restaurant that was somewhat fancy but so worth it. Everything was amazing! Emily and I split a goat cheese cinnamon apple hors d'oeuvres served on toast, a greek salad, and macaroni and cheese. YEP. who knew I'd be eating like this in africa?


One of the older volunteers, Claire, hung out with us all night. She went all out for Em's birthday and made her a chocolate peanut cluster concoction that was incredible!
 Birthday candles and all!

So sweet! What a great Easter! Hope you all had a great holiday as well, dying eggs and eating delicious food! There's nothing as great as spending time with family though.

No comments:

Post a Comment